Online casinos accepting players from Thailand
Since the dawn of gambling…
… the industry went through a lot of changes. And when gambling first went online, the most popular table games and slot machines were brought to online casinos.
… as the years pass, we see new games types appearing online, each more appealing than the other. These games are developed by both new and well-established software providers and each has something unique to offer, something that would appeal to players.
And that’s the main reason why…
… developers create new games each month. Online casino players are demanding. They are looking for innovation, creativity and of course, profitability in games. And software developers deliver. What’s more, the popularity of these games increases each day, and new players from countries all across the globe start showing interest in them.
Many new markets appear…
… many new countries join the club. Authorities notice that players are gambling no matter what, and they make the sound decision of regulating their markets to provide these players with a safer and fairer gambling experience.
And that’s exactly how and why…
… the first gambling laws in Thailand was established. In order to reduce black market activities and drive tourism in the country, the authorities introduced a bill to regulate land-based casinos.
As far as regulated Thai market goes…
… the government-operated Thailand State Lottery holds a monopoly on lottery products. At licensed racetracks, you can also find on-course horse race betting, but not a casino or sports betting. In fact, on-course horse race betting and state lottery are the only forms of gambling which are regulated in Thailand.
Other gambling forms are prohibited by law…
… interactive gambling included. Even though the gambling laws are particularly strict, they are not well enforced, since Thai players can still get access to offshore operators, and these operators accept them.
… even though there have been attempts to regulate online gambling, lottery and horse race betting are still the only two forms of gambling you can get. But that doesn’t mean that Thai players are abiding by the rules. In fact, sports betting is thriving in the country, thanks to the access to offshore sites, so players can even place bets on their national sport, Muay Thai. And, they also have access to a range of other types of interactive games, in safe and reliable environments, at world-recognized online casinos.
Best Online Casinos for Thailand
Legal Online Gambling in Thailand
As introduced, gambling in Thailand is rather restricted, with only two forms allowed. But that doesn’t mean that it was always like that. In fact, the first gambling houses in the country were established in the 17th century. The formal lottery was introduced in the 1820s, and soon, the first gambling act was passed in 1930, allowing gambling in certain provinces. Due to public outcry, the casino presence in Thailand was short-lived.
1935 was the year…
… gambling with cards was prohibited, and establishments caught with more than 120 packs of cards were punished by the law, as stated in the Gambling Act 1935. Four years later, in 1938, the first Lottery Bureau was set up, allowing one monthly draw to take place in the country. With the Playing Cards Act 1943, cards were strictly prohibited and that was the end of gambling in Thailand.
The National Lottery was set up in 1974…
… and this is the year the first regulated, legal draw was held. The lottery was and is to this day regulated by the government. In 1989, the rules for the lottery were relaxed, and the government allowed a second draw per month.
In the meantime…
… players’ interest in gambling increased. The black market grew each day, with citizens gambling in secret. In 1999, the Anti-Money Laundering Act was introduced. Seeing the situation in the country, the government introduced a bill to regulate land-based casinos with the aim to reduce unlicensed gambling activities and drive tourism.
With tourism, migrating poker players arrived…
… and the black market grew even more. The authorities had to do something. They started cracking down on illegal gambling establishments.
In February 2015, though…
… the existing lottery legislation was amended by the Government Lottery Office of Bangkok. The Lottery Office asked the Ministry of Finance for authorization to operate interactive lottery products, in order to reduce the problem caused by lottery tickets overpricing and increase revenues. The cabinet received the amendment, which was subject to review by the National Legislative Assembly.
Land-based casino bill received support…
… by the Finance Minister Sommal Phasee, who announced his support for the bill with aims to reduce black market activities and increase regulation. After the statement by the minister, leading casino operators started showing interest in investing in Thailand, major names like Marina Bay Sands.
By the end of the year…
…. the licenses of three out of five major lottery operators expired and the Government of Lottery Organisation (GLO) announced they will not be renewed. In fact, GLO previously implemented several reforms to abolish the ticket vending system. Instead, it allowed small vendors to purchase an unlimited number of tickets from larger vendors or banks with a retail price capped at THB80 a pair.
More recently, in 2019…
… stricter rules were introduced, even for the lottery. Some provisions in the bill were made to make it easier for the Government Lottery Office to distribute tickets. Other implied increase in penalties and possible custodial sentences for those found overcharging for tickets.
As for online gambling…
… it is still status quo. As you can see, not even the lottery has seen much progress, let alone land-based or online gambling. That does not necessarily mean that Thai players are not playing at offshore online casinos. Since the laws are not well enforced, players who get access to such sites are allowed to play unaffected.
Thailand Online Casinos
… Thai players can get access to the world’s most well-established online casinos and enjoy gambling in all forms.
There are hundreds of online casinos they can trust, sites which hold licenses to operate by respected regulators, such as the UK Gambling Commission, which offer nothing but a safe online gambling environment. Offshore operators intending on getting an international player base provide professional Customer Support, myriad of games for players to choose from, regular promotions and bonuses and all other types of perks for the most eager Thai players.
Best Slots Casinos
Games at Thailand Online Casinos
There are plenty of online operators which allow Thai players to join, deposit and play all kinds of online casino games, and bet on sports. Premier sites offer both sports betting and casino games and even Live Casino games. These games are provided by leading software developers, therefore, Thai players get access to the same high-quality game content as players from other countries and regulated markets do.
The following are some of the games categories at Thai players’ reach:
- Online slots;
- Table games;
- Live Dealer;
- Video poker;
- Texas Hold’em;
- Online bingo;
Each category of games consists of different sub-categories or variants, so players in online casinos in Thailand have a variety of titles to choose from.
The Best Live Casinos in the
The online gambling and betting sites Thai players have access to poise themselves as international websites. As such, they invest a lot of effort and funds in order to be accessible to players from all around the world.
… is a must these days. In the last decade, people have become so addicted to smartphones and tablets that leaving the house without their favourite gadgets is impossible for them. People have their whole lives on their phones: photos, numbers, emails and… games. If your favourite game is not available on your mobile device, you would go and look for another game that is, right? Operators know that and in order to keep international players, they create platforms that are perfectly compatible and even optimized for mobile play.
… Thai players can not only find mobile-optimized sites to play but can also download apps on their mobile devices for even quicker access to their favourite online casino games. These apps are designed for both iOS and Android devices, so regardless of the device players are using, operators make sure they get access to their sites.
As far as game compatibility goes…
… even though developers are in charge of creating games in HTML5 to be available on any device, operators make sure to offer such games on their websites. Since both operators and developers want to please players, players from Thailand that want to experience mobile gambling can rest assured that they’ll get one on any portable device they own.
Thailand Online Banking & Payment Methods
When choosing an online casino to join, Thai players should check the available payment methods at the site. This is because not all methods available in the country are available at online casinos, and those which are may not be available in the country.
…. are of the essence when playing at international casino sites. Even though almost all casinos provide SSL-encrypted transactions, still the player must ensure it can cash out the winnings safely.
Among the most proper banking options, we can list:
- Credit cards
- Prepaid cards
- Debit cards
… is something Thai players need to keep in mind, too. Considering many operators offer gambling in many languages, the Thai language included, they should check the available currencies at the site to see whether Thai baht is accepted. If not, they should opt for US dollars, euros or cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin, if they want to withdraw their winnings.
1. Is mobile gambling safe for Thai players at international sites?
- Yes. International gambling sites implement the most rigorous measures to protect players’ transactions and personal data, such as SSL encryptions and strong firewalls. Moreover, these sites are regulated by respected watchdogs which specifically oversee players’ safety and fairness on such sites.
2. Are Thai players allowed to claim promotions and bonuses at such sites?
- Of course they are. As long as the site accepts Thai players, and if not otherwise stated, they are allowed to claim any of the available online casino promotions and bonuses at international sites.
3. Can a Thai player become a VIP player at a particular online casino?
- Sure, why not? If the casino has a dedicated VIP program which is available to all players, any player can benefit from it. Specific Terms and Conditions would apply, but in general, anyone who plays frequently and deposits can become a VIP player.
4. Are there online casino sites where gambling is allowed in Thai or Kra-Dai language?
- Most online casino sites offer gambling in the main, most worldwide spoken languages such as Spanish, Italian, French, Russian and German, besides English. However, there are many top sites that also offer gambling in other languages, Thai or Kra-Dai included.
5. How can a player from Thailand contact Customer Support, if problems occur?
- Considering giving the Customer Support a call would be a really expensive option, Thai players can always opt for online contact options. Emails, Live Chats and even social media are great options to get in contact with the Support team. Dedicated FAQ pages are helpful, too.
6. What is the legal gambling age in Thailand?
- The legal gambling age as set by the laws in Thailand is 20 years. Only after citizens turn 20, they are allowed to participate in the lottery or horse race betting.
7. Can a Thai player be punished by the law for gambling online?
- Even though on paper, gambling is strictly prohibited, playing casino games online poses no harm. In practice, punishments are not enforced, and millions of Thai players are registered who gamble online regularly, unaffected by law enforcement.
8. Are international online casino sites free to join?
- Joining an online casino is almost always free, and sometimes even rewarded with a No Deposit bonus. If you wish, you can later make a deposit and continue playing.
9. How to know whether the games at a particular site are fair to play?
- You can check that in two ways. First, check the software providers list. If leading software developers like Microgaming, NetEnt, and Evolution Gaming power the portfolio, you can rest assured the games offered are safe. Second, check whether the casino holds certificates by the likes of eCOGRA, TST and iTechLabs. These are auditors that guarantee fairness and randomness of the games offered.
10. How can Thai players distinguish a legit from a rogue online casino?
- When looking for an online casino to join, Thai players should read reviews and check whether the casino is blacklisted, and then go to the casino’s homepage and read the information at the bottom of the page. All the details about the operator, providers and licenses should be displayed there. If not, they should check the T&C of the site.
On This Page